How to Apply
How to Apply Online:
REGISTERED USERS: log in to your account with a username and password.
FIRST TIME USERS: select an available position and follow the instructions to create an account.
- Log on to our application system by clicking on the Apply Online link on our website.
- First time users need to create a user name and password by beginning an application. Open positions can be viewed at www.428jobs.net. Once you have located the job you are interested in applying for, select it by clicking on the title.
- You will then be able to see the details for the job. If you choose to apply for this job, click “Apply for This Position”.
- Once you have initially created a profile, you can log in using your username and password the next time you enter the site.
- Be sure to write down your username and password for future reference. You will need this information each time you access the system.
- NOTE: Certified applicants can select the Elem, MS, HS, or SPED no school designated choices if you do not see a job that meets your interests. This will allow you to be able to enter your profile and easily submit an application.
- You must click affirm, initial, and enter the date on the final screen to submit your application.
- You will want to check job postings frequently to apply for other job openings as they are posted.
- DO NOT SPEND MORE THAN 20 MINUTES ON ANY ONE PAGE OF THE APPLICATION WITHOUT SAVING OR THE SYSTEM MAY TIME YOU OUT.
- Attaching documents is important as it allows the interviewers to see your information. If you have difficulty, make certain that there are no spaces or unusual characters (quotation marks, etc) in the titles of your documents. If the system times you out, it is likely your internet service provider and you should try again at a later time.
- Once you have submitted your application, you will be prompted to return to the jobs page to apply for other positions that interest you or you can log out of the system.
- You will receive an e-mail confirming your application has been submitted. If you do not receive this e-mail confirmation then your application has not been received and you will need to resubmit it.
USD 428 also posts certified openings on Kansas Teaching Jobs
Teacher application and interview procedure
Step 1 - Submit the online application and include the following:
- Letter of application
Step 2 - When a certified vacancy is announced, candidates will be selected and scheduled for interviews. Candidates are chosen for finalist interviews by building level and District Education Center administrators.
Step 3 - The names of candidates recommended for employment will be submitted to the Board of Education for final approval. Interviews and recommendations will continue throughout the summer as positions become available.
Step 4 - Applicants should contact the District Education Center starting December 1 to reactivate their files for the upcoming year.
All teachers in USD 428 are required to be licensed teachers of the State of Kansas. Information regarding certification may be obtained from the Kansas State Department of Education in Topeka, Kansas, at (785) 296-2288. The address for KSDE is 120 S.E. 10 Ave., Topeka, KS 66612 or visit their website at www.KSDE.org
For more information contact:
Secretary to the Superintendent
Frequently Asked Questions for Certified Staff
What criteria are considered before hiring?
Many factors are reviewed before an applicant is offered a position. Information contained in the file, background experiences, education, references, and responses received during the interview are all considered.
Does an applicant have to substitute in the district before being hired?
Substitute teaching is not a requirement. It does offer teacher candidates an opportunity to become acquainted with the various schools and principals.
Does my education experience and advanced degree make me too expensive to be hired?
Great Bend Public Schools hire people with a wide range of teaching experiences--from first-year teachers with bachelors degrees to teachers with many years of experience and an advanced degree. The important key is finding a teacher who best fits the teaching position.
Is it possible to substitute teach in the district while I have an application on file?
Certainly. For more information on substitute teaching, please contact Janet Dowson at the District Education Center, (620) 793-1500.
Should I stop by the schools to meet the building principals?
The process of hiring will proceed more smoothly without random visits to the buildings. Applicants should not visit buildings without prior approval from an administrator.