USD 428 Administration
Khris Thexton is the Superintendent of Schools for Great Bend USD 428. He serves the students and families of our community through general oversight of the district, ensuring fiscal responsibility, and forging community partnerships.
Under Mr. Thexton’s Leadership, USD 428 successfully completed the five-year Kansas Education System Accreditation (KESA) in 2019, earning exemplary marks from their Outside Visitation Team.
Always working to connect the schools with the community, he serves as a member of the Great Bend Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors and represents USD 428 on a variety of community initiatives and state-wide education committees.
Mr. Thexton achieved his Masters in Administration from Kansas State University, an endorsement in District Administration from Fort Hays State University, and his undergraduate degree from the University of Kansas.
During his career public education, Khris has been a classroom teacher, principal, assistant superintendent, and superintendent. Mr. Thexton’s career has taken him from one side of Kansas to the other, Marysville to Liberal, landing in the heart of Kansas, Great Bend, for the past six years.
Mr. Thexton is married to Rachel, who is a guidance counselor at Great Bend High School. Together they have three children who also attend Great Bend Schools, Paige, Kade, and Kolbie.
- USD 428 District Education Center, 2016 – Present: Superintendent of Schools
- USD 428 District Education Center, 2013 – 2016: Assistant Superintendent
- Marysville USD 364, 2009 – 2013: Superintendent of Schools
- Liberal, KS McDermott Elementary and West Middle School, 2004-2009: Principal
- Marysville USD 364, 1999 - 2004: Teacher, 8th & 9th Grade Science
"All parents want the best for their kids. As a parent, I will work to ensure my kids get the best education possible. That has become my passion for all students in Great Bend. I want all students in Great Bend to receive the same high-quality education that I demand for my own children."
John Popp is the Assistant Superintendent for Great Bend USD 428. He works primarily with Human Resources and supporting parents, students and employees with concerns or complaints that they may have.
After serving as the Assistant Principal at Great Bend High School from 2008 to 2012, Mr. Popp moved to the District Education Center in July of 2012. Before assuming his current role as Assistant Superintendent in 2017, he worked as the Director of Curriculum.
Mr. Popp earned his Master’s in Education Administration and Leadership from Kansas State University in 2004, where he previously received his Bachelor’s Degree in Math and Science. Mr. Popp later achieved his District Level coursework and licensure in 2009 from Fort Hays State University.
Mr. Popp says his greatest accomplishments start with marrying the woman of his dreams - Wendy - who is an outstanding Math teacher at Great Bend High School. That led to son Jordan who is attending KSU School of Engineering, and daughters Anna, Great Bend High School and Sophie who is in Great Bend Elementary Schools. Other accomplishments that Mr. Popp is proud of include a shining star award from JCHS on being an exemplary teacher, Area 6 Assistant Principal of the Year, and the emails and phone calls from past students who thank him for his contributions to their lives. Mr. Popp is most proud of the years he spent as a teacher, directly influencing the lives of students.
- USD 428 District Education Center, 2017 - Present: Assistant Superintendent
- USD 428 District Education Center, 2012 – 2017: Director of Curriculum
- Great Bend High School, 2008 – 2012: Assistant Principal
- Junction City High School, January 2000 – May 2008: Teacher, Geometry, Physical Science and Physics. Mr. Popp also served as the Freshman Academy team leader and assistant principal, and the School improvement team chair.
Tricia Reiser brings ample classroom instruction and building administration experience to serve USD 428 as the Director of Teaching and Learning. She works to support teachers across USD 428 in providing student instruction that meets and exceeds educational standards and fosters positive educational outcomes.
In addition to overseeing district curriculum, Mrs. Reiser manages teacher in-service programs as well as professional development offerings, oversees USD 428’s Federal and State Title programs, ESL classes, MTSS (Multi-Tier System of Support) sustainability, Social-Emotional Learning, Parents as Teachers, and the Parent Teacher Resource Center.
Mrs. Reiser earned her Masters in School Leadership from Baker University in 2005. Prior, she attended Kansas State University where she received her Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education in 1986. A constant learner, Mrs. Reiser is working towards her Ed. S. in Educational Leadership at Fort Hays University, which she will complete in 2020.
Mrs. Reiser is a Great Bend native and graduate of Great Bend High School. She is married to David Reiser, principal of Great Bend Middle School. They have three children, son Dillon, and two daughters Bethany and Kaylee.
- USD 428 District Education Center, 2017 - Present: Director of Teaching & Learning
- USD 428 District Education Center, 2016 – 2017: Federal Programs Director
- Eisenhower Elementary, Great Bend – 2005-2016: Principal
- Country View Elementary, Winfield, KS - 1998-2005: Teacher
- Ware Elementary, Ft. Riley, KS - 1987-1998: Teacher
District Education Center
- 201 S. Patton Road, Great Bend, KS 67530-4613
- P (620) 793-1500
- F (620) 793-1585
REVISED Hours of Operation as of March 25, 2019:
- Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. - by phone or by appointment only