Health & Wellness Updates: COVID-19
USD 428 has developed this page to provide updates on the status of COVID-19 and our school community.
- Our goal is to protect the health and safety of everyone in Great Bend Schools and in our community.
- Updated information will be provided as it becomes available. Parents/guardians can watch for updated via email. This site will also be updated.
- The USD 428 District Education Center will be available by phone, email or stop by. Office hours will are 7am - 4pm, Monday - Thursday, and 7-12noon on Friday.
USD 428 - Free Meal Program
June 1 - July 2: Every weekday from 11 am-12:30 pm, a meal package containing lunch and breakfast for the following day can be picked up at all five elementary locations. Food Service is available at the Central Kitchen (Broadway & Stone Street) from 11am - 1pm on weekdays.
- Students can walk-up, or lunch will be picked-up car-side, (children must be present in the vehicle to pick-up the meal).
- Permits can be obtained for "Parent Pick-up" - all children will need to be present in the car on the day the permit is issued. The permit can be obtained at any pick-up location during lunch pick-up hours.
- Anyone 18 & under can receive the free meal package, no questions asked
- Area children are welcome, you are not required to attend USD 428, nor are you required to reside in the City of Great Bend.
- In the case of severe weather/tornado warnings, Food Service may be adjusted or canceled. Please pay attention to email communication from USD 428 and social media platforms for more information.
Everyone can help protect the family
Everyone can help maintain a healthy community and reduce illness with simple healthy practices, adhering to travel guidelines and reducing contact with others when sick.
- Stay home if you have symptoms of COVID-19.
- Continue practicing preventive actions. This includes washing your hands with soap and water frequently for at least 20 seconds; cleaning frequently touched surfaces daily, covering your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, and avoiding touching your face.
- Practice Social Distancing - Following the Stay-home order in Kansas, you should refrain from all unnecessary travel and exercise extreme precaution when visiting the grocery store or other outings.
COVID-19 Stability (Source: New England Journal of Medicine):
- 3 Hours in Air
- 4 Hours on Copper Surfaces
- 24 Hours on Cardboard
- 2-3 Days on Plastic and Stainless Steel
Understand the origin of COVID-19
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses, some causing illness in people and others that circulate among animals. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can evolve and infect people and then spread between people such as has been seen with MERS and SARS.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is closely monitoring an outbreak of COVID-19 caused by novel coronavirus in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. The first case in the United States was announced on Jan. 21 in the state of Washington. This situation is rapidly changing and the CDC's COVID-19 in the U.S. webpage will have the most updated number of confirmed and presumptive positive cases.
Archived Updates from USD 428:
3/25/20 - 3:30pm: Preparing to Launch Continuous Learning
3/20/20 - 3:30pm: Learning continues in Great Bend Schools
3/19/20 - 3:30pm: Grace & Flexibility
3/18/20 at 4:30pm Continuous Learning Plan Update
3/17/20 at 4:30 p.m.
Message to Families: Today, March 17, 2020 Governor Laura Kelly announced all school facilities will be closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year. However, education will continue in new forms in Great Bend and across Kansas. Please click below to read more.